So here is what has been on my heart a lot lately and what I have been contemplating in bullet points first:
- Staying at home with my child is a VOCATION not a VACATION.
- Stay at home Mothering is a huge invitation to intercessory prayer and is a prayer form that I am learning more and more everyday.
- Mary's role as Jesus' Mom. Life in Nazareth.
-As children ourselves (of the Lord) we are loved more than we could even imagine.
-Choosing to stay at home and not "work" as in out in the work place, is very counter-cultural and not respected as it should be. This is something I have been turning over and over in my heart.
I will tackle these points one by one and I will only focus on one at a time because then I can go into more depth and not fear this entry going on and on and on. I want this blog to be a discussion and to vocalize these points because I feel as though they are not vocalized enough. Please feel free to add comments, questions and other thoughts!
Staying at home with my child is a VOCATION not a VACATION:
I learned this very quickly and to my surprise it was not discovered after Tommy was born but rather, during the first few months of my pregnancy. I started as a long term substitute teacher at St. Pius X teaching moral theology to juniors. I quickly discovered I was pregnant after taking the job. So there I was newly married, never having worked before and now newly pregnant. I was thrilled to start teaching and was even more thrilled to be expecting my first child. I had always dreamed of being a Mother, and I knew it was my primary vocation, so finding out that a baby was on the way was a dream come true. To make a very long story short I had to make the tough decision to leave Pius and get ready for the birth of my child and the beginning of my life as a stay at home Mother. I chose to leave Pius within the first month after a lot of prayer and discernment and it was one of the most difficult decisions of my life so far. I didn't realize it at the time, but it was the Lords way of preparing my heart... I guess you could call it an Advent of sorts.
For the next 8 months I would be at home as the stay-at-home pregnant wife. At first it was awesome and I enjoyed sleeping as much as I wanted. I had a pretty good pregnancy, but I was definitely fatigued a lot and at times an emotional wreck, so the plentiful rest did me a lot of good. Soon enough though, I became very bored and almost tormented my self in this internal self-blame and self hate. I don't want to say self hate, because I never despised myself or wanted to harm myself in any way, but there was definitely an element of self hatred creeping into my thoughts and view of myself every day life in my home. These thoughts went something like this:
"You are so lazy! What a waste of your life to sit here at home while people are out there contributing to society by working. You're ugly. Look at how your face is all broken out, look at how this pregnancy is making you fat, not just in your belly but everywhere! You're clothes don't fit right and they just make you look worse. You're not ready to be a Mother or good enough. Your too weak to handle this. You don't have any experience. You will fail."
So with these words being whispered to my heart you can imagine it was hard to be motivated! It was hard to pray. It was hard to await the coming of my beautiful child with joy and hopeful anticipation. It wasn't much of an Advent at all because the joy just wasn't always there but more like a purgatory. Now I want to make it clear that I am a very mentally healthy person. I don't struggle with depression and my self esteem is pretty good. Sure, I could be more self confident at times, but these weren't the problems I was confronted with. I also want to make it known that I did have great joy in my pregnancy! I loved being pregnant and feeling Tommy so close to me was beyond precious and I would do it all over again in a heartbeat! I just want to mention the dark side of what I was feeling because I think it's important to my point of discovering my VOCATION as a Mother. What was happening was this: I was growing an amazing little person within my womb that God had created with the help of Tom and I! This little guy is completely unique and needs to be loved more than I could ever love him alone. This is where I went wrong in my thought process. I thought I had to do this on my own and that God's grace was not sufficient enough for me. I began to doubt that the Lord was going to help me. I doubted the grace he was extending to me and I listened to the lies that were whispered in my ear by the evil one. I began attending a Mother's Circle at Church and this helped a GREAT deal with the thoughts I was having. I had lots of time to think and contemplate as I was awaiting Tommy's arrival. Listening to the Mom's at Mother's Circle was a great way to remind me of what I already knew about the Truth of Way of God's love and I was able to more clearly decipher the truth from the lies about Motherhood.
To really flesh out the point now: I was growing in learning that I was called to a radical vocation of LOVE. I was responsible for not only a little ones body, but his beautiful and immortal soul. What a daunting task, I thought. I came to realize after Tommy was born that I am not solely responsible. He was God's little child. Tom and I were so blessed to have been given the opportunity to care for this little one and share in his life...to give him a life, a name, to show him what is means to love and be loved. I realized that this was not an easy thing. As a stay at home Mother I was not on a perpetual VACATION. It was work, and not only physical work which is obvious, but spiritual WORK. The way the Lord revealed this to me was by allowing me to see and experience hardship and even a lack of his presence. He never pulled back from me, he held me tighter, but he allowed me to go through a period of not feeling the sentiments of Love to come to a greater realization of the labor of Love.
Looking back I can see clearly how this was helpful to me and how VITALLY IMPORTANT the Mother's role is in the lives of her children. Not only the lives of her children, but to society. Every person was born of their Mother and was carried under her beating heart for approx. 9 months. Duh right? Well...if we really think about this, this is not trivial. We give our children physical life. But we also give them spiritual life, we provide love. This is our vocation. I do realize that some Moms do need to work to provide for their families. I do not look down on this AT ALL. I realize it is necessary in circumstances so I do not ever want to put down the working mother. As Moms we are very responsible for our Children. I think of Mary and her role as Jesus' Mother. Jesus could have come in any way he wanted. He was God. But he knew in his infinite wisdom that the best way, the ONLY way, he would come to this earth was by hiding himself in his Mother's womb and then being born as a tiny little baby and being raised for most of his life under his Mother's care in Nazareth. Now this is something to contemplate for hours. This, to me, proves that the vocation to be a Mother is one of GREAT significance and is something very natural but yet extends to the supernatural. No wonder the human family and specifically SAH motherhood are attacked so much by the evil one.
As SAH mothers we are living out a VOCATION and not a VACATION. The world will make it seem as though we are on vacation. The lie that we are not contributing to society is such a tempting lie to believe, however this could not be more FALSE. This is precisely how the society is formed..by the family. There is no greater way we can contribute to this world. I also want to remind everyone that I have found the greatest of JOY in living out my vocation so far (and it's only the beginning!) I am learning more and more what Joy is as opposed to happiness. I have found so much happiness in raising Tommy for these past 18 or so months (counting pregnancy). I have found, however, a greater JOY. Joy does not fade away like the happiness. It is anchored in the heart.
I will end the first point here. I realize that this is extremely long and drawn out, but I am writing as my thoughts come. There is no organization to these blogs. I've never been the most organized person or precise for that matter. I do hope these blogs can generate discussion and thought. Thank you so much for listening and reading.
well, i work from home which you would think "is the best of both worlds" however i still struggle. part of me thinks i should be doing more and teahcing in the classroom (plus i love it and really miss it) and the other part feels like i'm not totally dedicated to my kids. now that we have two the struggle has become easier. i really want to be "home" ( as in not working at all), so i can soak every minute with them. kids grow up so fast and you can't go back.
ReplyDeletei don't let myself feel guilty anymore when i tell someone i want to be a stay at home mom. 1. bc it's a job in and of itself with housework alone.
2. and most important bc i want to raise my kids! so many moms work just to pay for daycare which is sad.
3.when i think about who i want my kids to be when they grow up and what values i want them to have, i realize that no one can better impart that to them than me. the world can say/think what they want, but i know what i want and what makes me happy and it's being with my kids. SUCH important work!
4. as mom always says "you can never regret chosing to be with your kids full-time." many people invest their whole lives into careers and still feel so empty and unfulfilled. maybe one day soon, i will be lucky enough to be a stay at home mom :)
sorry for such a long post! thanks for sharing your thoughts too!
ReplyDeleteJust a warning...this may be a long un-organized response, LoL!
ReplyDeleteThis was, like whoa, great for me to read! Thank you! I know I won't be able to respond to everything (it would be pages long), but I feel like I could talk to you for hours about this.
What you said about joy being anchored in the heart resonates so deeply in me. My heart is being drawn in that direction so intensely lately. I really appreciate your willingness to be real and bear all about your "voices". Sometimes as a Christian woman I feel like I can't share that stuff because of sounding like I'm complaining or being ungrateful. It's great to hear I'm not the only one who experiences that.
First, I have a question. If it's too private, I can respect that, but why did you decide to SAH while pregnant instead of working until you delivered? I can't even imagine how hard of a decision that must have been. I admire you. My own insecurities would have gotten the best of me in that situation.
Now I'll share some of my heart. Recently Chris and I have felt so intensely called to start our family. As a result, the planner in me has tried to get a game plan together. I've applied for numerous part-time jobs, but nothing has worked out. (Side note: I believe I'll always have to work at least part-time because Chris is self-employed and I'll have to earn medical benefits. I also think I'll want to work a little bit, because I feel vocationally called to nursing as well and want my skills to stay up to date with technology changes etc.).
I have cried endlessly about these jobs not working out. I love other people's babies so much (I'm sure you remembered how I snatched Tommy up at Christina's this past summer). No matter how much I love/take care of others' babies, or feel called to the vocation of nursing, I cannot ignore the call on my life to be a mother. My vocation as a mother totally trumps that of being a nurse. I feel called to do both, but cannot reconcile the two. I feel SO incredibly torn because I feel like my circumstances are forcing me to choose between the two. The only problem is, for financial reasons etc. I'll have to do both.
Like Marjorie, I refuse to do the whole daycare thing. I feel called to raise my babies and don't want to be the Mom that's too tired. (And believe me, working night shift makes me VERY tired). Chris and I have talked about him staying home and me working full time, but I'll admit (and I've said this to him too) I know I would not be happy doing this. In fact, I feel like a part of my heart breaks when I consider it, even though I know he'd do a fantastic job. My desire is more for motherhood, but I can't just quit working altogether. We wouldn't survive.
I'll have to admit, here's where I get sort of angry at God. I can't understand why He would put this fervent desire to SAH on my heart, only to have every option to do so, not work out. I am beyond frustrated!
Maybe I'm prematurely upset about all of this. After all, I'm not pregnant (yet). Who knows, maybe I'm going through all of this so that I learn better to Trust in the Lord. He is good! I know something will work out, I"m just impatient. If something does work out, I'll know it's from God, because everything I've tried has failed miserably.
In any case, I'm moving forward with life and not allowing work to steal my joy. Thanks for letting me share and sorry it was so long! Be assured of my prayers, Natalie and thanks for sharing too! You rock!
ania- you bring up a lot of good points. first about your job sitution. you're a lot like me in that your a "planner," but boy has motherhood humbled me in that regard especially this time around with andrew coming so early (a blog post i have in draft).
ReplyDeletelast year we knew there were going to be major layoffs at chris' job which was really scary (he carries health insurance for himself and christopher) and we knew about it for months. we also knew that we wanted to have another baby close in age to christopher (we thought this before we had christopher). we eventually just took a "leap of faith" figuring chris had 9mos to find another job if he got laid off. luckily God took care of us, but many people didn't understand and asked why we decided to go for baby #2 in our sitution. i guess what we learned is that your never going to be 100% prepared for a baby and even if you think you are things always come up.
also it's funny you bring up the stay at home dad thing. my cousin does that. she was unable to find part-time work in what she does and made more $$$, so her husband stays at home with their 2 kids. for her it was a really tough decision and she'd love to be home with them, but it was the only thing that worked.
we've been praying for your job search!
Hey all you lovely ladies! Here is a post from Marian that I thought was beautiful. I asked her if I could post it on the blog. Here goes :)
ReplyDeleteMarian:
Hi! I just tried to post a comment on Natalie's blog, but I couldn't b/c I'm not a member... ? So here's my response... Natalie, if you want to post it somehow, feel free :) ha ha
I just love ya girls!
What beautiful women. Thank you all so much for sharing your hearts and thoughts... the struggles, the joys, the coming to true joy, having our hearts firmly lodged in Mary's heart. Her pierced heart. It is part of our feminine charism, I believe, to be vulnerable, to be open, to share intimately and honestly, and I am so grateful for everyone embracing this with such courage and freedom.
No matter where we are in our lives, what stages, phases, circumstances... God does similar work in our hearts to draw us closer to Him. It amazes me. He uses our circumstances to call us to rely FULLY on Him and His Strength, His Grace, His Mercy, His LOVE. We need Him so totally. I know I do!!! :) I am so totally desperate for His saving power, His sovereignty over my life.
I HIGHLY, HIGHLY, HIGHLY reccomend the book, "The Reed of God" if you have not already read it. It is all about the hidden life of Mary... how her vocation was so hidden and yet so completely vital for all of humanity! What a hidden, quiet, seemingly insignificant life she lived - and how totally significant. What humility... and God exults her and crowns her in His GLORY! Oh, that I may trust Him in my smallness and be happy to become less and less, to embrace my humble, weak, fallen state... that He may be ALL in my life!
I have no idea what exactly my calling is in this life. I've always pictured myself so totally as a young wife and mother, as I'm sure you can all relate. It has been my fervent dream all my life. But I feel as if it's all broken into a million pieces. And now I am left blank and in total need of healing, restoration, newness... a new Marian... and to really hear what God wants for my life, not just what I want for my life. Maybe they're the same thing, maybe not. But I just want His Will. And right now I must lay it all down - complete surrender - allow Him to form my dreams and desires anew, so that peace and joy kiss... His Will and my life are one... totally allow Him to shape my heart, my life.
All I know is that God is doing a MAJOR purging work in my life, gutting out, uprooting... it hurts. My heart is broken and breaking every day. But He is holding me. Underneath it all there is something God is building, a strong fortress, built on trust in Him,... built really on His Love, undeserved by me.
It is so hard to trust sometimes that He has a plan for my life, and that it's GOOD. I feel close to Mary at the Foot of the Cross b/c she had NO idea how God was going to turn such a bloody, devastating mess into something beautiful and shining. But she trusted. I lean into her trust b/c sometimes I don't feel it. I choose to trust, but my heart is weak. In her heart, I am strong.
Again, please run don't walk to order/purchase "The Reed of God." It is so beautiful and affirming of our feminine call - straight from the heart of a lovely and very real woman, Caryll Houselander. If I had the $, I'd order you each a copy yesterday.
:)
Thanks for listening to my novel!!! ha ha
Love you so much!
Miss y'all!
BIG HUGS all around
MUAH!
Marian
Ania! Thanks so much for your post! I just love this and being able to share what's on our hearts as women. I agree totally with Marjorie when it comes to the "leap of faith" regarding having a baby. It really does come down to that leap of faith and Tom and I are in that process now. Life is such a precious and priceless thing and while it makes so much sense to be prudent and wait until we have our finances in order, if we are waiting to be completely financially ready it will probably never happen! Our money is not ours really, it all does belong to the Lord. I believe if you are open to Gods will completely and you try with all that you are to trust him 100% he will lead you to do what you need to do and will provide you with even financial blessings. The Lord also placed it on your heart to be a nurse and this is also your vocation however there are different seasons of life and if SAH mothering is first and foremost your passion it's within you for a reason and your nursing experience will be completely valuable in raising your own little child and not at odds with SAH mothering. You will be so glad to have that medical knowledge (I know you know all this.. i'm just going on and on) :) Anyway, I guess it just all comes down to prayer and being tuned in with the Lord's will. I must work on this! He places things on our heart and we recognize that voice more and more (through prayer) and follow it. His voice always brings us peace and lasting joy (again, the kind that is anchored in the heart) than we know we are on the right path.
ReplyDeleteMarjorie, I admire greatly your courage and self confidence that you have with regards to your family. It really goes to show that you were nurtured and loved so well in your family that it is just a part of you now! Tom and I definitely want a brother or sister for Tommy close in age like Christopher and Andrew so keep us in your prayers!
Again, I thank you all
Oh yes, and Ania I almost forgot to answer your question and it's not an easy answer. I just felt that "pull" I was talking about in my heart to stay at home while I was pregnant, and I have no idea why, that's why I fought it so hard in my heart and mind. I did leave partly because it was only a long term sub job that was up in January anyway and I was getting a lot of the morning sickness on top of being brand new at teaching (with very little experience with lesson planning and classroom management because I was a theology major, not an Ed major.) Mostly I felt very uneasy and not at peace at all and I thought that the Lords will was for me to stay because it was the HARDER thing to do, but that's not always how it works. Through prayer and some counsel even from some priests and my parents I came to the decision after 2 or 3 weeks. I found the time at home pregnant to be very difficult, but part of my growth process for sure as I mentioned.
Ok I'm done NOW. haha.
This whole blog thing is wonderful! I'm so thankful to be connected to good Christian girlfriends who value the same things in life! You are all a blessing to me and I am thankful for your listening ears, encouragement and support.
ReplyDeleteLike I said before, Chris and I are taking that leap of faith and not letting lack of a part time job stop us from answering the call to our vocation of parenthood. I'd imagine I'd have great sorrow at the end of my life if I let work make the decision about starting a family instead of letting God decide that. It just gets hard sometimes, like Marian said, to remember that God has a plan and to trust that it is good. Deep in my heart though I know that His plans will bring peace and lasting joy.
I also know that even though it will make me sad to leave a baby to go back to work full time, I would be far more sorrowful if I didn't have a baby at all. So, keep us in your prayers and hopefully a baby McDonnell will make their debut sometime in 2010 or 2011.
YAY! PrAYING PRAYING PRAYING!
ReplyDeleteFRom Beth Christensen:
ReplyDeleteGosh... Reading all the lies the enemy was telling Natalie about pregnancy brought back so much to me... I remember struggling with all the same exact lies! Ha! I felt so alone in so much of it with Gabby... especially working while being pregnant... and SICK! I wish I would've networked with more moms... the mother's circle in Allentown ROCKS for that reason as well!
This VOCATION at home only gets more difficult as more babies come along... but as they get older... doesn't it seem to get so much easier?
I find for myself that once I start to get used to these new little personalities entering MY home (which is really Jesus' home in Nazareth), my emotional stability continues to build up. I remember feeling overwhelmed with Gabby's crying... now I've got two little ones that scream even more and at the same time... yet there's so much grace to know all the more that I'm not raising these little souls as much as I think I am... Mother Mary and Jesus are right there along side guiding me and teaching me how to respond with LOVE (as Natalie stated in her blog) rather than frustration especially due to not sleeping as well. Gosh... Jake and NoraJane cry more than Gabby ever did... and yet they're smiling and cooing more than Gabby ever did... and Gabby was an EASY baby!
Granted... there's not a week that goes by these days that I don't cry because I'm so overwhelmed with how much is demanded of me... For me, going to the workplace HELPS! (That is, doing the confirmation retreats.) It's my time to get a break and be an adult... yet, staying at home is so much more rewarding for me - because it's tougher and more demanding of my patience despite my ongoing lack of sleep. Ha!
I agree with Natalie... women who need to work... I admire them just as much! They're amazing! But, for me personally, staying at home is the tougher thing to do and I find a deeper sense of the Lord and His grace.
I also believe that getting your children to heaven is the fundamental role of being their mother. Not that you're their Savior, but you participate with Christ in their salvation for sure! Staying at home helps so much with this I think (again, I'm not bashing moms who need to work).
By being at home all day... you have SO MANY MORE OPPORTUNITIES to talk about Jesus with your little ones AND so many more opportunities to teach forgiveness and mercy. Correction and Love coming from a mother throughout the day, rather than a general caregiver - even if they're a Christian caregiver - teaches that the most intimate and formative relationships in a person's life (mother/daughter, mother/son, and later when they're older wives/husbands) rely completely on Christ. It's as though you're able to get some extra time to really relay the Jesus message to your kids through both word and action.
For example, just the other day, Gabby was in the bathroom washing her hands after dinner. She wouldn't let me turn the hot knob... although I'm certain that no one ever taught her that there was a hot and cold knob because we hardly ever wash her hands in the sink - we typically wipe them down with a wet wipe. And yet, here she was trying to articulate to me in baby babble that she didn't want that knob turned on. I KNOW she learned this small little action from watching me go to the bathroom (since we're starting potty training in the next few months).
Can't get enough from how lucky I feel that she's with me all day long picking up my characteristics. What a blessing from the Lord!
Britta Prinzivalli :
ReplyDeleteBeth, thank you for your response! I'm so happy to hear that other moms get worked up about their baby crying (your reference to when Gabby was a baby)... lately I've been struggling with that SO much more than Steve does. I used to think Steve would be the one to pick Xavier up at every squeek and wimper, but I'M the one who instantly feels like a failure if he cries. Stupid, I know - because that's what babies DO, they cry to talk to us..... but, the evil one convinces me that Xav is really saying, "I don't like you mommy."
This morning he woke up at 4:00am with a severely clogged and stuffy nose, but it was really deep inside and so I couldn't help him clear it with a nose bulb very well - I just started crying because I felt like he was crying for me to help him, and I couldn't. Steve, in turn, got a little frustrated with me because I was beating myself up about it, and he couldnt convince me that I was just doing the best I could to help Xavier. It's SO frustrating how we put all this pressure on ourselves to be "perfect", and there really is no "perfect" way to mother.... we just have to do our best to love.
I have more thoughts on this, but I gotta run! Let's keep in touch, everyone!
Sarah Kimmel:
ReplyDeleteNatalie, thank you so much for writing this for us all to read. You are amazing. I feel like my own SAH experience has given me so much more of an appreciation for God's providence using my husband in all of this. I was so nervous walking into this pregnancy when it came to deciding to go back to work or not. Kevin and I had many long discussions and prayed for a long time about this. I hadn't known anything different. My mom worked. My mom's mom worked. I worked up until I was about 38 weeks pregnant. Even walking out of the building on that last day, I was kind of wondering if God was really going to be able to come through this time, kind of feeling like this request was going to be a doozie that God was going to look at and say "You want Me to do WHAT?! You must be out of your mind!" and slam the door in my face. So, here I am almost a year later, and all of my needs, and those of our son, and his own needs are being provided for. I feel like I am looking into the eyes of my hero everyday for everyday things. Thank God for hubbies.